How to renew the United States passport

United States passport

United States citizens, regardless of their age, must have their own passport to travel internationally by air.

Verify your eligibility

Only US citizens by birth or naturalization can obtain a US passport.

You can renew your valid or expired passport except in one of the following cases:

  • Your passport was issued when you were under 16 years of age.
  • His passport was issued 15 or more years ago.
  • It is damaged, lost or stolen.
  • It does not carry your current legal name and you do not have a legal document (for example, a marriage license) to prove your name change.

If any of these cases is true, you must request a new passport in person using form DS-11.

Determine how quickly you need your passport

If you will travel within three weeks or more, you can renew by mail and request a quick service.
To obtain a passport quickly (two weeks or less), request fast service with additional charges.
Call the National Passport Information Center to schedule an appointment with a regional passport agency. To use the automated appointment system, available 24 hours a day, call 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TTY, for the hearing impaired).
At your appointment, you will have to present evidence of your need to travel immediately, pay for the fast service and bring with you the documents listed below for the renewal of your passport.
Make an appointment online to process your passport (in English).

If you live outside of the United States or Canada, contact the US embassy or consulate. UU closest to receive detailed information about passports requested from abroad (in English).

Complete the DS-82 application

Download and complete the DS-82 form. You also have the option to complete your application online (in English). Do not forget to sign your application.

Gather the necessary documents

  • The passport to renew.
  • A passport-style photograph
  • If your passport to renew does not bear your current name, present a certified copy of your marriage certificate or court order on your name change.

Pay the fee

  • Passport type notebook $ 110
  • Passport card $ 30
  • Notebook and card $ 140

Prices may vary depending on how and from where you submit the application.

Send your documents by mail or deliver them to the office

According to the type of procedure you have chosen:

  • Send form DS-82 to the address of the Office of Passport Services that appear on it.
  • Take them in person to the Postal Service office to complete the process.
  • Go to your appointment with the documentation in hand.

The Office of Passport Services will return by post the documents you submit with your application, for example, your previous passport or documentation of a name change. Read more about these requirements to renew the US passport.

Plan the renovation with time

  • Renew your passport approximately 9 months before the expiration date. Some countries require that your passport have some validity after entering that country (up to 6 months). In addition, some airlines do not allow you to board the plane if you do not meet this requirement.
  • If you travel frequently, check the “52 pages” box at the top of your passport application to receive a notebook passport with more pages.

Para obtener más información, consulte estas preguntas frecuentes sobre pasaportes

National Passport Information Center

The National Passport Information Center offers information on how to obtain, renew, replace or correct your US passport.

You can contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 (press 2 for Spanish), 1-888-874-7793 (TTY, for the hearing impaired). This center offers agents available who will help you if you have an emergency situation or need a quick process to obtain your passport.

If you are abroad, contact a United States embassy

Lost or stolen travel documents

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.